Job Description/Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
Biomaterials technician with electrochemistry experience for biotechnology support to assist with cutting-edge research on novel activity and genetics of fungi and bacteria. An understanding of corrosion and electrochemistry is highly desired. Scientific, engineering, and analysis in Biotechnology. This area includes experimental and theoretical pursuits mainly focused in microbiology, biochemistry, molecular biology and biological materials. Support services shall include the following:
- Cloning experiments including: nucleic acid handling, purification, and quantification. Further enzymatic assays such as Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR), restriction digestion, and ligation reactions for synthetic biology projects
- Growth experiments with anaerobic and aerobic microorganisms in a bioreactor or standard incubator requiring sterile technique, preparation of growth media, plates and freezer stocks and perform growth curves
- Separation and analysis of metabolites from bacterial culture
- Purification and characterization of microbial cell materials
- Characterization of binding interactions in traditional and novel biological assays
- Write reports and briefings and conduct presentations on results
- Interact with OGAs, Contractors, and universities and support the development of technical packages.
The position includes the following responsibilities:
- Work as part of a team to help with the isolation and cultivation of microorganisms from environmental samples.
- Handling and maintenance of culture isolates.
- Establish protocols for culturing and preparing samples for downstream processing.
- Work with materials scientists for production and processing of biomaterial samples.
- Perform genomic library preparation for Next Generation Sequencing.
- Perform electrochemical characterization of substrates with a potentiostat.
- Learn and utilize a multitude of materials characterization techniques, including scanning electron microscopy and scanning probe techniques.
- Maintain a detailed record of work in progress and completed.
- Develop and follow Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- Set up and maintain associated equipment.
Skills & Education Requirement:
- Either a BS or MS degree in molecular biology, biochemistry, microbiology, chemical/biological engineering materials science, or related field, or an Associates degree in Biotechnology from an InnovATEBIO program.
- >2 years of laboratory experience working with prokaryotic and eukaryotic cells.
- Microbiology and molecular biology laboratory techniques: pipetting, aseptic techniques, making media and buffer solutions, gel electrophoresis, protein expression and purification.
- Experience with genomic and plasmid DNA isolation.
- Experience with PCR and cloning.
- Experience with bioinformatics software to analyze DNA sequences and design primers.
- Experience carrying out and optimizing enzyme assays.
Additional desired skills:
- Experience with electrochemical experiments using a potentiostat.
- Basic understanding of corrosion fundamentals
- Electron microscopy
- Flow cytometry, cell sorting
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills to discuss issues and potential solutions with other groups and personnel to find answers to a new problem set.
- Ability to work with a multidisciplinary team of research scientists.
- MS Suite of office applications
- Good attention to detail and documentation
- Strong work ethic, positive attitude, self-starter, punctual and good attendance record with the desire to develop professionally
- Must have or be able to obtain a secret clearance
- US Citizenship required
Job Type: Full-time
- 401(k) Matching
- Dental Insurance
- Disability Insurance
- Flexible Schedule
- Flexible Spending Account
- Health Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Relocation Assistance
- Retirement Plan
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Vision Insurance
- related: 2 years (Required)
- US Citizenship (Required)
This Company Describes Its Culture as:
- Detail-oriented -- quality and precision-focused
- Outcome-oriented -- results-focused with strong performance culture
- Team-oriented -- cooperative and collaborative
- Only full-time employees eligible